“Traversing the Road of Life: There Be Detours Ahead”, is a personal narrative of my search to find myself after high school. It’s a search I will probably continue my whole life. I didn’t mention my twin sister in this narrative, but she was actually a huge reason I first went to Mackinac Island. We had been joined at the hip, metaphorically speaking, and I had also been looking for a way to become an individual. I had thought I had found meaning in 2002, when I worked on the Island, but I think I had actually just found an aspect, an interest that had been ignited from working within a restaurant. I had felt like I had found a second home in some ways with the people I met there. I have since lost touch with them and the creative energy I had felt while working there. I think this was for the best. I wasn’t really interested in opening my own restaurant, and I was getting really tired of all the late shifts.
I should actually thank Damien for getting me into that whirlwind of emotions. He gave me an out. He gave me an excuse to leave cooking and reexamine what I wanted out of life. I sometimes miss cooking, but not enough to go back.
Since signing up for the Health Information Technology program, I have been a little bit worried about what I will do after I graduate. This personal narrative helped me to see my choices. It also helped me to see that if I’m not happy with what I have chosen, I have gained a lot of experience in the past 10 years. Enough that there should be plenty of alternative options I could look for. I had forgotten how interested I had been with ancient civilizations. I think this would be a hard career to go into, but I will probably take a class or two just out of sheer curiosity in the next few years. And there is always the option to take trips down to the ruins in Mexico and South America.
I had my mother edit the final draft of my personal narrative. She said that she thinks I missed sentence structure in grade school. I’m unsure of that, but it is entirely possible; I had switched to a private school in 4th and 5th grade and then been moved back to public school. So I took notice of this after she was done, and her improvements did make sense to me. I will need to be more aware of this in future writings.
I have always enjoyed reading. Writing is an occasional interest to me. I think during this personal narrative process, I have learned that short sentences are better and to mind the length of paragraphs. Already, in this reflective commentary, I have been keeping an eye on both of those. As for the actual essence of the story, I’ve found that depends on how motivated I am at the time I sit down to actually write. I’ve noticed in the past that sometimes it’s better for me to get some words down on paper, and then switch to a computer to reexamine what I have written and to keep the story moving. This seems to help me not to get lost in the ocean of words. Thinking of that, I still have trouble with the sea of description and the mountain of reflection. This is one area I will need to continue working on throughout the semester.
No comments:
Post a Comment